Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Truth Hurts

Time started: 23:08
Place: My dining room (Wattle Park, Adelaide)
Listening to: "Something About Us" - Daft Punk
Weather: Cold
Mood: Pondering

A discussion with an old friend of mine lead me to think about lies that people tell. He claims that knowing the truth is much better than not knowing and forever wondering but the look on his face has an interesting way of proving his point.

People take up their entire lives searching for the truth with a million questions:
- Does he/she feel the same way?
- Does this make me look fat?
- Am I really bad at doing this?
- Is there a God?
- What is my purpose in life?
- Is he/she the one?
- What do people really think of me?
- When/how will I die?
We ask these questions because we're searching for the truth...and often the truth is not something we want to hear, so why do we search for these answers if we're happier not knowing? What preparations can we actually make by knowing the truth?

I told a friend of mine a truth that I knew he did not want to hear yet he persisted on knowing and talked me into it saying it'll do him more good than harm, that I have to be cruel to be kind. So I did, which only lead to more unnerving questions. His face told me a story of nothing but hurt and regret as a response to my answer.

We've all been there before...searching for a truth, and disappointed with what we'd find. Are we really happier not knowing or being lied to? Do people really move on from a truth that pains them to the core? There are two kinds of people in these situations:
- People who build a bridge and get over it, or
- People who don't, walk through the rapid stream and plummet down the waterfall.

The truth hurts and it can either make you or break you. I'm finding myself more cynical with more painful truths. What's the point if there's nothing in it for you or others? So, ignorance is bliss or knowledge is power? How should one live their life? More questions...

I guess the best way is to think, with every crisis comes an opportunity.
However I'm yet to know what that opportunity is...

Time finished: 23:24

No comments:

Post a Comment